About This Program
The Best of Friends® (BoF) is a social and emotional learning program that empowers children aged 7 to 12 with the knowledge, skills and confidence to understand and manage emotions and social situations.
Developed by Educational and Developmental psychologist Dr Kimberley O’Brien, The Best of Friends® draws on years of clinical and school-based experience and research to help students build their social and emotional skills.
Combining cutting-edge research and interactive activities, this program has been verified by the Be You Programs Directory and more than 600 children have participated in it to date. Find out more about it on the program pages.
What we cover
The Best of Friends® covers several social and emotional skills, including:
- Making and maintaining positive friendships
- Developing empathy and communication skills
- Recognising, expressing and managing emotions
- Negotiating and resolving conflict
- Working independently and cooperatively
- Increasing resilience and assertiveness
- Appreciating diverse perspectives
- Developing teamwork and leadership skills
The program includes a comprehensive 278-page workbook that contains five chapters with engaging stories and activities such as role-playing, cooperation, crafts, knowledge acquisition and fieldwork. These activities are all carefully designed to facilitate social and emotional learning (SEL).
Program structure and inclusions
The term program runs for 10 weeks and includes:
- Weekly sessions that last one hour each
- Small, multi-age, mixed gender groups with a maximum of four to six participants.
- Two x 30-minute online parent consultations before and after the program
- A copy of our award-winning 264-page workbook featuring interactive activities, facts, fieldwork and stories
- Weekly email updates with key program content and suggestions for home and school
Good to know
Please review the following important information. If you have questions, please reach out to us before registering.
- The program is $920 per child. Discounts may apply as advertised from time to time. Please read the FAQ about the programs and workshops.
- Children with pre-existing diagnoses may need to complete a pre-screening session at an additional cost. Please read this helpful article for more information.
- By registering, you accept the terms and conditions that include non-refundable and other strict terms and conditions. Please consider if they are right for you.
- Sydney programs are at Level 1, Unit 2, 83-85 Queen Street, Woollahra, 2025
- Wollongong programs are at Unit 105, 62 Moore Street, Austinmer, 2515
- Other locations provided during registration.